01 June 2012

Riding your bike to school ... illegal in the USA

There is an interesting and sad article in Bicycling Magazine about U.S. school policies that prevent kids from riding a bike to and from school.

I guess it is not surprising that school districts prohibit small children from riding bikes to and from school, but junior high and high school kids?  No wonder there is an obesity epidemic in the U.S.A., and diabetes rates are soaring among teenagers.  A kid who rides to school becomes an Enemy of the State?

If a town is not safe for a high school kid to ride to and from school ... then it is not safe for any cyclist.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I just don't get stuff like this. It seems that encouraging people to ride would be something schools would be interested in. I guess not...

Yan said...

Since school bus system is well protected by law, aslong as compare to Japan, therefore, everybody feels why he need to ride to scool by safety reason.
I continue to ride to work more than 5 years, and realize the benefit of it (it is priceless!), however I don't recomend to my colleague it because of safety concerns...